Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lynn's Award Winning Brunswick Stew

Here's a little story behind the "award winning" part.  Many years ago my husband and I did buckskinning.  That's where you go camping...pre 1840's style.  You wear period clothes and everything in your campsite must APPEAR authentic.  Coolers were stashed inside wooden trunks.  Air mattresses were covered with quilts.  We cooked over open fires...me in LONG skirts.  Anyway, one rendesvous we attended had a stew cooking contest.  The park ranger did the tasting and I won.  But before you think I won big...I only had two other opponents.  Still...I DID win a plaque...and so my stew is award winning.  Enjoy!!















Lynn's Award Winning Brunswick Stew

2 3-pound fryers
2 large onions, sliced
1 box frozen okra, optional
2 1-pound cans tomatoes
2 cups frozen lima beans
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 pound bag frozen corn
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon sugar

Cut the chicken into pieces and simmer in 3 quarts of water for a thin stew, or 2 quarts of water for a thick stew, until meat can easily be removed from the bones; about 2 1/2 hours. Remove chicken, cool, and debone. Set aside.
Add the vegetables to the broth and simmer, uncovered, until the beans and potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
Return the chicken to the pot; add the seasonings; simmer.
Serve with hot sauce and corn bread.

Note: This recipe benefits from long slow cooking, and is ALWAYS better served the second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment